Monday, October 6, 2008

Healthy-ish Banana Muffins

I had a bunch of overripe bananas to use up, and now I love baking because of my snazzy new Kitchenaid stand mixer. Honestly I am in love with this thing. So here's a recipe I tried tonight-- I thought it came out pretty well. I found this online and I'm adding in my additions / substitutions.

Ingredients:
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1/2 c. eggbeaters
3 overripe bananas
2/3 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
In mixing bowl combine honey, eggbeaters, oil, applesauce, and banana. Mix on #2 setting if you're using a Kitchenaid mixer. Turn to #1 setting and add dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Pour mixture into greased muffin pans or paper muffin cups. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to test for doneness. Remove pan to rack, and let stand for 10 minutes. Invert pan and let finish cooling on rack. Best served warm. Makes 1 dozen muffins.

Variation: Banana bread... bake mini-loaves 40-45 minutes and for 1 regular loaf bake 1 hour.

1 comment:

kate said...

These sound really good. I have some overripe bananas in my freezer right now, so I might try this (sans kitchen aid mixer) this weekend.

In college I took a weight watchers banana bread muffin recipe and every ingredient that weight watchers had in moderation, I added extra. They were mighty good.