Ingredients1 tablespoon olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt & fresh ground pepper
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
3 cups water
12 ounces ziti pasta (3 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, minced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1) Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 475.
2) Combine oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet and saute over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. (If your skillet is not ovensafe, transfer the pasta mixture into a shallow 2-quart casserole dish before sprinkling with the cheese and baking). I then sauteed some mushrooms and green onions here, about 2 minutes.
3) Add crushed tomatoes, water, ziti and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4) Cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting heat as needed to maintain vigorous simmer, until ziti is almost tender, 15-18 minutes.
5) Stir in cream, Parmesan, and basil. I also added chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6) Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over ziti. I also added some shredded Pecorino cheese here. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10 minutes. Serve.