Saturday, February 28, 2009

Roasted Corn and Goat Cheese Quesadillas


This past summer I got a subscription to Cooking Light. LOVE it. They always have great vegetarian ideas and a section on quick and easy dinners. As soon as I saw this recipe for roasted corn and goat cheese quesadillas in the March 2009 issue, I knew I had to make it. It was easy to make and tasty. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it did not hold together as well as a regular quesadilla, because goat cheese doesn't melt the same way as mozzarella or cheddar does. So, these were pretty messy. Next time I might add a little parmesan or pecorino to the mix.

Ingredients
1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear-- I used unsalted canned corn)
2/3 cup (5 ounces) goat cheese, softened
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 1 green onion-- I used 3)
10 tablespoon bottled salsa verde, divided (I used regular salsa
Cooking spray
Olive oil (optional)

Directions
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. (I also cooked the green onions with the corn.) Place corn in a small bowl. Add goat cheese to corn; stir until well blended. Divide corn mixture evenly among 4 tortillas; spread to within 1/4 inch of sides. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1 tablespoon green onions. Drizzle each with 1 1/2teaspoons salsa; top with remaining 4 tortillas.

2. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. (I used olive oil here instead of cooking spray.) Place 2 quesadillas in pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; recoat with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve with remaining 8 tablespoons salsa.

No comments: