Saturday, January 10, 2009

Baked Eggplant Parmesan

Update to my last disaster-- Kitchenaid sent me a new mixer, that arrived yesterday! Yay.

I am happy to report that I have followed up the pasta disaster with a new dish that Gary said was one of the best meals I ever cooked. Wooohoo! I used this recipe with a few slight variations. My version is below. I liked that this was a baked recipe... it made the dish a little lighter. I also tried to take it easy on the cheese, so you might want to add more than I did. It takes a while to prepare from start to finish, but it's quite easy. Please note that my measurments are all approximate.



Ingredients
1 large eggplant
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1.5 jars of spaghetti sauce
1 cup mozzarella (or more, according to your taste)
1 cup parmesan (or more)
cooking spray
salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, dried basil

Directions
Peel the eggplant and slice into thin rounds. Salt the eggplant and let sit for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. This will make the eggplant less bitter.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Put flour, egg, and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. I added pepper and Italian seasoning to the breadcrumbs, as well. Dip each eggplant slice into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs so it is coated on each side, and place on the baking sheet.

Bake the breaded eggplant for 10 minutes on each side(20 minutes total) until it is cooked through and slightly crispy, and remove from oven.

Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Coat the bottom with spaghetti sauce, and add a layer of eggplant slices. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Add another thin layer of sauce, then add eggplant and cheese. Top with sauce and a little parmesan and dried basil. If you have some leftover breadcrumbs, toss them in, too. Just be sure not to overdo it with the sauce, or your eggplant will come out mushy.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until it is hot, bubbly, and crispy on top.

Serves 4 generously.

No comments: